Thursday, September 13, 2012

Buttercream Frosting

Hi everyone!!

In the Decorated Almond Cake blog post, I mentioned the buttercream icing I used to decorate the cake with. Well after the post, I realized there are so many different types of buttercream icing out there so I should post which one I used and still use to this day. I used the Wilton Buttercream Icing. And I know from my cake decorating course, my instructor still uses this icing and loves it along with my other classmates. So it must be good.

Buttercream Icing

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
  • 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract (or other flavor depending on the flavor you want)
  • 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
  • 2 tablespoons milk (or heavy cream)
Directions:
  1. Mix vegetable shortening with butter with an electric mixer until it has a creamy consistency.
  2. Add vanilla and continue to mix.
  3. Add sugar one cup at a time mixing well on medium speed.
  4. Once all sugar has been added, the icing will look dry. Add milk and continue to mix until icing is light and fluffy.
This icing just like other icings can be stored in your refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Note: After you finish making this icing and are ready to clean up, please do not wash this icing down your kitchen sink. It has vegetable shortening and can cause issues with your plumbing. Use a cloth to wipe the frosting off of your tools and bowls and toss it. After you have removed most, if not all, of the frosting, wash your tools and bowls as you normally would. Save your pipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment