Thursday, September 13, 2012

Decorated Almond Cake

Hey everyone!

Now you know from my last blog post that I took the Wilton Cake Decorating Basics class in August. So one of the things we had to do in class was decorate a cake. Actually, for this class we had to take an 8 inch cake that we baked at home, split it into two layers, add a filling, frost the cake, then learn how to do the gel overlays (the technique you use to add a design outline to the top of a cake so you can trace it with frosting). If you think it was a busy class you do not know the half of it. I only told you part of what we were supposed to do. But it doesn't matter if you don't finish decorating in class because as long as you have the techniques, you can practice or finish your decorations at home.

So because it was a busy class,  I was not able to finish my decorations in class and had to finish it at home. The only problem is that I was tired, had a messy kitchen to clean, and had a lot of frosting left over. Although, it sounds like I probably sat in front of the TV relaxing, I didn't. I actually decided to finish decorating my cake to get rid of the leftover frosting. Therefore, I thought about adding the cupcake design everyone was adding to their cake during the class to my cake. S I added it. But I should mention that I did not do it the correct way with the gel overlay. Instead, I did it freehand. LOL. And as you can see below, it did not come out that bad especially considering that I am not an artist.

Decorated Almond Cake

If you are wondering what type of cake this is, it is a Double Almond Cake. I used the Double Almond Cupcake recipe I blogged about a few months ago. I just added the batter to an 8 inch Wilton cake pan (love that pan now). As for the icing, I made buttercream icing and added almond flavoring. To make the yellow icing, I added Wilton yellow food coloring to the original white almond buttercream icing. For the creamy white top part of the cupcake decoration, I used some of the cream cheese frosting I made for the Carrot Cake Cupcakes I made earlier in the day.

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment